Yesterday was a lost day. I woke up at 12:30 AM Monday morning and couldn’t go back to sleep. I was a walking zombie all day long. Somehow I managed to cook our delayed Thanksgiving dinner (the Bell & Evans turkey was fabulous), exercise the dogs, do a bit of grocery shopping, move the ElectroNet and take care of the animals. All as a zombie. Pretty good, huh? Luckily, I slept well last night.
Last spring, a veterinarian, Laura, bought two ewe lambs to be used as 4-H projects by her children. On Sunday, she brought them back to be bred. They both look great. After we put her lambs in with the flock, we came back over here so she could see my goats. She fell in love with Champagne (my Nubian) and told me that if I ever decided to sell her, to let her know. I then told her that I had already decided to sell her when she freshened. Laura’s eyes lit up and she said she’d like to buy her. I told her that I couldn’t take less than $200 for her and that we could work out some sort of payment plan if she wanted to take her right away and she agreed.
Laura has two more LaMancha goats that she wanted to sell so she’s going to bring them here on Wednesday or Thursday. One is a five year old doe who is still in milk and the other is the doe’s daughter who is ready to be bred. I believe my friend Janice is going to buy the two LaManchas and pay me instead of Laura (thus paying for Champagne).
Janice is going to take Sebastian (the Alpine buck) as soon as all of her does are bred and keep him until breeding season next year at which time I’ll take her Saanen buck and use him to breed my does. Janice will use Sebastian for those does that she can’t use her existing bucks for. I can’t use Sebastian next year unless I keep Fern and any young does that we keep back separate from him which I’d rather not have to do. Sebastian is on the shit list after making the mess with the sheep the other day. He had also been running the does more than I’d like to see so he’s in solitary confinement. He is still near the does, he just can’t get to them. Keeping a buck is a pain in the butt.
Also, Janice has a young Saanen doe that she was going to trade for two of our lambs, but she might decide to trade one of the two LaManchas for her instead. Lots of wheeling and dealing going on these days.
I’m glad that Laura wanted Champagne as that’s a wonderful home for her. I want to keep just two breeds: Alpine and Saanen. They are quite similar in characteristics and they cross well together. I am using an Alpine buck this year, will use a Saanen next year and then switch back to an Alpine.
We fed the goats too many apples over the weekend and both Fern and Fennel are a little ill. I haven’t milked in two days now and I may be done milking. When she started to get ill, Fern’s milk production went off. She may just go dry at this point and that’s fine with me. I need a break from milking. I’ll miss the milk, but …
As soon as it warms up, I’ll go out and work the dogs. It’s quite cold this morning and we are supposed to get heavy rain tomorrow.
Until later …