Last day of 2009

It was a wonderful day.  Wally ended up taking it off from work so we had the day together.  We did a bit of running around, visited his mother and of course took care of the animals.  I can’t think of a better way to end 2009.  We’ll spend the rest of the evening watching television and relaxing.

Tomorrow will be busy.  Minimally, we need to finish Merlin’s shelter and get a new tarp up on the goat shelter.  We also need to finish putting the windows in the milk parlor.  If the sun comes out and it dries out a bit, I hope to get out on Merlin in the afternoon.  The woman who dropped her two ewes off to be bred will be coming to pick them up tomorrow afternoon.  In the evening, we are going to go to the tack and horse auction where I bought Merlin.  Of course we won’t be buying anything, but we both want to go to see what’s there.  That is our idea of a night out: going to a tack and horse auction.  We lead such exciting lives.

While the ground is soft from all the rain and snow, we also plan to get some wooden posts in around the garden and get that fenced in with field fence.  Previously, I used cattle panels, but they would be better used elsewhere.  Once we get the fence back up, we need to bring the sheep up and trim hooves and worm those who need it.  We’ll use the garden as a containment area until we get through all the sheep.  I’m pleased to say that we have lambs from last year who have never been wormed.  They all look in good health so it seems aggressive rotational grazing is effective parasite control.  The next big project on the agenda is getting solid covers on the dog runs.  We are trying to get all the major projects done now before I go back to work.

While we were looking at the sheep this morning, we noticed a few of them were starting to bag up.  Addie and Angel (goats) are also starting to make bags.  Before we know it, there will be a population explosion.  Unless we are able to successfully sell most of the lambs at home next year, we are going to cut back to 20 ewes and keep it at that for the coming year.  Until we can establish that market, which I think we are well on our way to doing, there’s no sense in keeping as many ewes as we have right now.

The only work that Gel has had today was keeping the sheep and goats off the feeders.  As I write this, he and Split are outside playing.  I’m so glad we got Split, for a lot of reasons, including that she’ll rough house with Gel.  Poor Split has had no work in quite a few days.  I really must make an effort to get her out to work every few days or so.  Now that my leg as finally healed up from my fall, I’ll be able to get out and do some work with her.

Fern is doing well in her new home.  She went with Cheri to Kentucky for the holidays and charmed everyone.  We’ll be delivering the agility equipment on Sunday. It seems almost bittersweet that I ended 2009 by selling my agility equipment and bikes, placing Fern and buying a horse.  2010 ought to be interesting, to say the least.  I am looking forward to it.  All in all, 2009 has been a very good year.  I have a very, very good life.

Until later …