Going back to work …

I got a call from the hospital where the contract management position was advertised.  I wrote about this job a while back.  It took three different times to connect with the woman I’d be interviewing with, but the interview is now scheduled for Thursday at 9:00 AM.  I wish I had made it a bit later as I’m going to have to hustle in order to get all of my chores done in time to get there for 9:00.

Last night I had nightmares about the job.  Keep in mind, I know very little about the position, but this wild and crazy mind of mine made up all sorts of crazy things.  It didn’t help my sleep any that the moon was shining into the bedroom window like a spotlight and there were sheep in the backyard.

Yep, sheep in the backyard.  I went down to the back pasture around 4:00 yesterday afternoon to take down the ElectroNet so we could move them.  Just as I got the third line taken up, it started pouring.  Great.  I got Liath on a lead and headed back to the house to meet Wally.  He took Liath and Split back to the house and I went back with Gel to get the sheep.

Several of the ewes have recently lambed so they were cranky as hell about being moved.  I had to carry the lamb that was born on Sunday back on the ATV.  Gel did a magnificent job.  He holds his ground when ewes have turned to face him, stomping their feet and carrying on like idiots.  In time, they turn and move.  One charged him once and he gripped her, but it was an appropriate grip.  Interesting that the only time he grips inappropriately is when I ask him to grip.  I ought to just shut my mouth and let him do his job.

Unfortunately, the horses thought the sheep were there for them to play soccer with so they had to be put up for the night in their paddock.  I’m sure they are not happy about that arrangement.  During the day, I’ll put one horse in the round pen in the back pasture and leave the other loose.  I did that for a while yesterday, leaving Merlin in the round pen.  I didn’t expect Al Bin to return back to the house, but he did which caused Merlin to try to break down the gate of the round pen.  I’ll probably leave Al Bin in the round pen and Merlin loose for the first shift.  So that the sheep can’t leave the yard, the gate will be closed so the horses won’t be able to return.  Maybe it will work out, but if not, they’ll spend the day in their paddock until we can get the ElectroNet moved.

Back to the hospital job.  The thought of going back to work is incredibly scary.  Don’t get me wrong, I want to go back to work, but the adjustment is going to be extremely difficult.  I feel sure something that I’m doing now will have to go due to lack of time.  I know one thing that is likely not to happen is getting a dog trained up to work at the goat dairy.  I found a suitable dog in Michigan.  Yesterday, the owner of the goat dairy contacted the dog’s owner and arranged to drive out there to get the dog; completely taking me out of the picture.  In the grand scheme of things, it’s just as well as I really don’t need to be bringing in another dog right now nor do I really think I want to deal with the mechanics of providing a trained dog to a third party.  It is much better for me to train my dogs to suit my needs and leave it at that.  People can be incredibly hard to please, the dairy is close to 100 miles away from me; everything is happening as it should.

I really want to focus on my horses, my dogs and try to cut down on the outside stuff.  A lot of things have been sliding around here and I need to get a handle on it.  I mismanaged the dairy goats, calf and bottle baby goats.  Last year at this time, we had plenty of milk to feed a calf and bottle baby goats, but last year at this time, most of the does I was milking didn’t have babies on them.  I bought them in milk; their babies were bottle babies or already sold.  I’m going to have to go to the Jersey dairy this morning and buy six gallons of milk so that I have enough milk to feed the calf and bottle baby goats AND have enough goat milk to provide to my clients.  If I were working, I wouldn’t be able to do this.  I’m toying with not selling milk or eggs and using what we produce here to feed us and ours.  I’m blessed to be able to get the Jersey milk, but it’s a pain to go and get it.  Our customers can be terribly fickle in their needs.  One week they may want just a gallon of milk and a dozen eggs; this week, one client wants two gallons of milk, six dozen eggs and two quarts of yogurt.  It always seems as though when I have lots of milk, eggs, etc., they don’t need the products.

Until later …