Bit off more than I can chew

I bit off more than I could chew today.  I saw an advertisement on Craigslist for scoops of sawdust for $5 so I called, got directions and headed out to get some.  I bought two scoops, which was all Yoda could carry.  You wouldn’t think that two “scoops” of sawdust wouldn’t weight much, but it does!

Before putting down the fresh sawdust, I cleaned out the goat shelter and hauled the soiled bedding into the pig pen.  That doesn’t seem like a lot of work, but it was.  I carried out twelve of those two-handled, plastic tub-fulls of soiled bedding and had to go into the pig pen to dump it.  I used Gel to keep the pigs from escaping (he loves that job) and carried the soiled bedding in tubful by tubfull.  The mud in the entryway to the pig pen is calf-deep.  Several times, I almost lost my muck boots in the mud.  That would have been awful!

Once I got the goat shelter cleaned out, I tried to back Yoda up to the entryway to shovel out the sawdust.  No going, it was too muddy and Yoda started spinning.  I could have put him in four-wheel drive, but the last time I got stuck scared me a bit so I figured not to push it.  Instead, I drove in and parked on an angle and started to shovel out the sawdust.  I shoveled and shoveled and shoveled and shoveled.

It’s done and I’m exhausted, dirty and dripping wet with sweat.  In 45 minutes, I need to head out to the farm where I am sitting to take care of those animals.  Thunderstorms are rumbling around us, but I don’t think we are going to get any of the rain which is unfortunate.  Once I get back from the other farm, I’m going to sit in the cool and take it easy for an hour or so.  I’ve been milking later and later in the evenings when it’s a bit cooler.

This has been a rough summer so far.  The rest of the week is supposed to be miserably hot … again.  I didn’t know I could sweat so much, or get so dirty!

Before cleaning out the goat shelter, I drove down to the back pasture with the ATV and wagon to off-load the support posts and discovered a section of the ElectroNet had been taken down and dragged halfway across the field.  I don’t know what is doing this to the fence: the horses or deer or both, but I called Wally and told him that until we are able to get the fencing done, we are going to have to keep the horses up in their paddock.  I think the one line of ElectroNet that keeps getting taken down has been ruined, which is unfortunate given how much it will cost to replace.

The horses are not going to be happy about that arrangement, but last time I checked, I am not in the horse pleasing business.  You’d think with ten acres of grass to graze on, they wouldn’t have to hang over the fence to eat what’s on the other side, but you know the old saying.

Mica has been a wonderful puppy.  He’s so easy to live with.  As I write this, he’s lying on the floor chewing on a bully stick.  Bella is scheduled to come here again on Thursday through August 2.  I’m sure Mica will enjoy her visit.

Until later …