The days just keep rolling on …

We decided to sell the pigs this week. While I’m getting a huge bag of scraps every day, what I’m getting probably isn’t enough nutrition to keep them going without milk. I can milk Gwen every day, but that’s exhausting, at least right now because I’m so exhausted.  I didn’t milk her this morning, I should have, but I didn’t.  The calves will drain her as soon as I move them down there.   I’d like the option of not milking her if I didn’t need the milk for us or to sell. We only have two milk clients right now (they use the milk to feed their dogs), which is good.  What they pay us per week pays for Gwen’s grain.  Not sure what will happen when the goats freshen.   We’ll definitely get more pigs then.   Another factor is making sure the pigs have adequate shelter for the colder weather.  Something we really don’t have time to work on now.   Wally finished fencing the back of the horse paddock (the former agility field) on his own this weekend out of necessity: the goats were getting out and wandering around during the day.  Fencing is not a job that should be done solo.  I’m now thinking there were jobs that we I should have completed while I was off.  I knew this would happen.

I was supposed to be off on Saturday so that I could attend a competitive trail ride.  I asked for the day off several times, but my request was forgotten and I’m scheduled to work.  I could press the issue and demand the day off, but I don’t want to rock the boat.  There are too many other people that would like my job and I need to hold on to it.  In the grand scheme of things, even if I was off, I may not have gone to the ride because I’m so bloody tired.  Not to mention, I haven’t exactly been getting many miles on Trophy lately.  Some of that has to do with my inability to find a saddle that fits both of us properly.

I did ride for a while on Sunday and it was a very interesting ride.  We were out in Vale and my riding companion got a telephone call.  We stopped so she could talk.  While we were standing there, I thought I heard a cat meow so I rode Trophy down to where I heard the sound come from.  I saw a kitten, but it ran away when it saw the horse.  I went back to where my companion was standing.  I saw the cat (it was a kitten) come out again.  I got off Trophy and walked toward her.  Then she came right to me.  It was a tortoiseshell medium-coated kitten.  I picked her up and her motor immediately started running.  I walked back over to my companion and she said that animals were dropped off in this location a lot.  I put the kitten down and got back on Trophy and the kitten started to follow us out.  I stopped again, got off and picked up the kitten and we started to walk towards the road.  My companion called her husband and he drove down with a carrier to bring the kitten back to her house.

Like we need another cat!  When we got back to the house, my companion’s husband said that he thought there was a condom sticking out of the kitten’s rear end!!!  I took her out and looked and sure enough there was.  That kitten was so hungry she ate a used condom!!!  I was able to pull it out and she seems fine.  She’s a very affectionate little creature with no fear.  Not so sure this is a good thing.  I brought her out with me yesterday morning while I milked Gwen and she almost got stepped on.

It’s a shame what happens to animals in this World.  I feel sure that kitten wouldn’t have lasted too much longer out there if we didn’t come across her.  If my companion had not received a telephone call, we may have never come across the kitten.  Funny how things happen.

Well, I had better go back outside and move the goats and calves down to the pasture, let the chickens and ducks out and feed them and then come back in and get in the shower.  I have to be in work by 8 this morning.  At least I have a regular schedule: Monday through Saturday 8:00 until … ???? usually 3:00.  Not so bad I guess.  It could be worst: I could be working at Wal-Mart or Walgreens … now that’s a bad thought.

Until later …

One Reply to “The days just keep rolling on …”

Comments are closed.