Successful saddle hunting

Oh do I love it when I can find a quality USED product at a good price!  Yesterday afternoon, I decided to go and look at the saddle with no money in my pocket so that I wouldn’t be tempted to buy it if it wasn’t exactly what I was looking for.  If I had to go back out and get money, I would be more inclined to not buy something that wasn’t perfect.  Was I ever thrilled when I walked into the house and saw the saddle.  It was in beautiful condition and had obviously been well cared for.  I told the seller that I wasn’t even going to try to talk her down because what she was asking for the saddle was more than reasonable.

This is an old saddle.  The lining under it is real sheepskin and is attached using leather lacing rather than screws.  The leather is soft and supple.  It is in much better condition than the Marciante saddle was when I bought it.  I didn’t even have to clean or oil this one when I got it home.  I stopped and got a cinch tie strap to replace the one that was on it and it’s now ready to ride in and I plan to ride in it today.

If all goes well, I’m going to go to a cattle sorting event on Sunday.  A friend of mine has been doing it with her Arabian and is really enjoying it.  She won the last competition she entered with him.  I’ll bet the Quarter Horse people loved that!  I don’t know if that’s something I’d want to do more than once, but it will be a chance to get together with this friend and do something “horsey.”  The practice is held quite close to where we live so it isn’t a big commute.

Who knows, Sudi may turn into a good working cow horse.

Wally had to leave early for work today so I had to get up at 4 AM.  I’m waiting for it to get a little bit light before going out to milk.  Plus, we milked pretty late last night.  It’s going to be a long day I think.  I’d like to try to get my milking schedule switch so that I can get the milking done before we have supper.  Then, once we come in for supper, we can relax for the rest of the evening.  Eating supper then going out in the dark to milk pretty much sucks.  Of course, that will mean I’ll need to get up and out earlier in the morning, but that would give me more time to do other things before going to work.

Mica is doing fantastic as a house dog!  I am surprised that he settled as quickly as he did in the house and that he sleeps through the night in his crate.  All in all, he’s doing really well in all respects.

I guess it’s light enough to get out there and get the chores done.  Hopefully today will go as smoothly as the past few days have.

Until later …

4 Replies to “Successful saddle hunting”

  1. This seems to have been a really good cross. The puppies seem to have inherited the backbone and resiliency of their mother and the calmness of their father. I wish I had sheep to put Mica on. Can you take some photos of June working?

Comments are closed.