Sometimes things just suck.

I got into work yesterday morning in a really good mood until I looked at the new schedule which had been posted the night before.  I was only scheduled for four days while the other prep lady was scheduled for six.  She was working my Wednesday shift.  The manager that sometimes does the scheduling was in the restaurant placing a truck order so I showed it to him and said that there must have been a mistake.  He said that he didn’t do the schedule, the General Manager had.  I then told him that there still must be a mistake and could he please fix it.  He said no.

I was very concerned about the change in schedule and asked the manager on duty to ask the GM about it if he called in.  He came into the restaurant later in the afternoon and I went into the office and asked if I had done something wrong so that he cut my hours.  He said that no, I had done nothing wrong, but that the other lady had fallen onto some bad times and he was trying to help her out.  I then reminded him that he told me when he hired her that he would not be cutting my hours and giving them to her at which point he told me that this was the way he wanted to work the schedule and that he couldn’t guaranty me a set schedule.

You see, the GM worked with this prep lady for five years before he hired her to work at MM.  He assured me it wouldn’t in any way affect my hours.  Except for the times when she’s needed a Saturday off, I’ve been working that same schedule and I guess I sort of expected he’d stick by his word.  He was doing it to help her out … what about me?  He’s helping her out at my expense; not that I’d wish another employee’s hours would be cut, but why mine?

The rotten thing is that there isn’t a damned thing I can do about it.  Hopefully it will be just a temporary thing.  We are not talking about a lot of money; if I only work five hours, which is about average for the beginning of the week, I make, after taxes, around $38.  Time to start cutting expenses.

I’m really tired.  I slept like crap last night and I woke up around 2 and took a mild sleeping pill.  That was a mistake because it hasn’t worn off completely and I feel really lethargic.  Now what I’d do to call in sick today, but I’m afraid if I did, they’d fire me and I surely couldn’t live on the amount of unemployment that I’d qualify for.

Oh well, what doesn’t kill me will make me stronger.  I hope the other prep lady enjoys working six days next week, which is a grind.  I’ll do my best to make good use of my day off trying to accomplish something worthwhile.  It’s going to be hard to keep my mouth shut today, but I’m going to try really hard to do so.  The GM is on duty today so I need to be careful.

The day ended pretty good though.  The new farrier arrived, right on time, and as I expected was a very interesting character.  He liked both Sudi and Ace.  He only trimmed Ace, but he gave Sudi a good looking over as well.  Hopefully he’ll be able to help me find him a new home.

I better get going to milk.  I didn’t put the babies up tonight so I won’t have to handle so much milk this morning.  The babies are starting to self-wean so I have more milk to process during the evening milking.  I knew I was going to be out of sorts this morning and milking fewer goats will be a good thing.  Yesterday I started a pot of cheese using rennet and my own buttermilk.  I checked it this morning and it looks like it’s going to come out okay.  I’m trying to avoid buying starter because it’s expensive.  We’ll see how the cheese comes out.

Until later …