Yummmmmmy food

Wally and I have had a lot of yummy meals lately.  They just keep popping out of me.  On my way home from MM I stopped at a local grocery store with the intention of getting potatoes and rutabaga to cook with our locally-grown pork chops.  The plan was to cook extra potatoes and rutabaga to add to the pot of rooster soup (hopefully that will be a yummy meal).  Unfortunately the grocery store did not have rutabaga, which caused me to curse the inadequacies of this particular grocery store.  So, I bought an Acorn and a Buttercup squash.  I have not tried either squash before.  I cut them in half, scooped out the seeds, dotted them with butter, pepper and a little bit of brown sugar and baked them with the pork chops.

Guess what we are having for supper tonight?  Acorn squash stuffed with sausage (our sausage of course); I may mix up some polenta and add that to the sausage stuffing.  This may be a meal that I’ll double or triple the ingredients for and save the leftovers for a another meal.

Work was okay; the book on tape that I’m listening to helps the time go by easier; or maybe it just distracts me from the drudgery of the job.  Hopefully the restaurant was slow last night and I won’t have too much to do today.  Hopefully they won’t tell me that I can’t listen to the book on tape, I wouldn’t put it past them.  Heck, that I come to work on time and not drunk or high ought to make me one if their most valuable employees, but it doesn’t work that way.  I’m off Thursday and the plan is to make some cookies or maybe breakfast bars with the Kitchen Aid and perhaps get the house cleaned.  I toyed with asking Wally to leave the truck and trailer and heading out to South Mountain for a morning ride, but that probably won’t happen.  It’s still hard for me to justify spending $20 in gas to go horseback riding.  Of course, I could ride around here, but both horses can be pains when riding around here and where I can ride around here is limited because it’s hunting season.

Wally and I have decided that we’d much rather sleep than watch television and went to bed early last night.  I feel so much more refreshed and ready to deal with everything I have to deal with during the day, MM being at the head of the list; also up high on the list is the one goat that I have that insists on crouching so low on the milk stand that her udder is a few inches above the floor of the stand.  That makes milking her really, really hard.  That she puts the rear leg that is closest to me as far forward as she can makes it almost impossible to milk her which makes me angry which makes milking her even more difficult.  She’s done this to varying degrees for as long as I’ve had her and lately it’s gotten worst.  I’ve toyed with selling her; life is too short to deal with difficult goats.  I don’t have too much longer to milk goats so I’m trying to put up with her.  I should get her in the parlor in the first group and get her done and over with.  Milking nine goats and one cow is a lot of milking and that she usually ends up in the last group means I’m starting to get tired of milking.  I’ve got the cheese pot ready for the goat milk.  I’m making as much goat cheese as I possibly can before they dry off.  Maybe I’ll try to make some ricotta from the cow milk tomorrow as that would be a good use for the extra cow milk that I have these days.  I do need to make more yogurt which I’ll do today.

Off to do the chores and deal with that PITA doe …. g-r-r-r-r-r-r-r; I just almost listed her on Craigslist, but I really shouldn’t sell her.  I need a break from milking goats … it’s coming …

Until later …