Many months ago now, can’t remember exactly when I did it, but I bought a refurbished Dell desktop computer.  It’s quite souped-up with plenty of power to run graphics programs.  My reason for buying it?  I was running an older Dell laptop in a docking station.  It was running fine, but it wasn’t quite powerful enough to run graphics programs.  Also, laptops tend to be fragile and I didn’t want to risk it dying and having all my work die along with it.  Been there, done that.  I had lightning come in through my phone lines the summer before last and it toasted my old desktop and an even older laptop.  Luckily my insurance replaced both computers, but it was a pain recovering the material on the computers.

Anyway, that new desktop has been sitting on my desk for many months and I was using the laptop.

With the photography class I am taking, we will be using Photoshop CS2 (CS3 really, but I have CS2 which will work fine).  Photoshop, in general, requires A LOT of RAM to run properly.  The new desktop has 1 GIG, which really isn’t enough and I may be forced to take it in and add another 2 GIG of RAM, but we’ll see how it goes.  RAM is cheap so it shouldn’t be too much of a problem if I have to do it.

So, a good part of yesterday was spent installing software; unfortunately in order to install software you need to first find all the disks and serial numbers (growl), transferring files and settings, swearing (yep!); but it’s done.  I’m writing this on the desktop.  It is much faster.  All my software disks and serial numbers are organized in one place now too.

But, this has put me behind on getting photographs done for class and for the article I wrote for Animal Wellness.  I know what I’m going to do and I’m hoping the cat I’ve decided to use as my subject cooperates.

At least it’s a bit cooler.

I am now involved in the “two dog shuffle.”  While Fern is not in standing heat, she smells pretty darned good to Gel right now.  He tried to rape her yesterday morning.  Luckily I was right there.  So now, only one dog is allowed out of the crate at a time.  Even while taking the goats and sheep down to the back pasture this morning, I had to keep a close eye on them.  Gel’s mind was not 100% on his work.  So the plan is tonight to take the dogs one at a time to bring the stock up.  One dog will bring the sheep, the other the goats and I’m going to walk back and forth.  This will kill several birds with one stone: each dog will get individual work (and training) and I’ll get some exercise.  I have been loathe to do too much exercise in the heat.  My skin is very broke out and itches like heck and the heat makes it worst.  I know this will pass, I just need to be patient.  It is by no means cool here, but at least it’s below 90.

Until later …