Things got better.

I talked to my friend from Canada for about a half hour.  We are both going to try Skype which will enable us to talk for free.  Unfortunately we’ll both have to be tied to our computers, but for free, we’ll manage.  Then my homeopath called.  She agreed with my remedy selection.  We talked about the various issues (all very small) that my animals were having.  I told her how Cian was suffering from fleas and his other quirks.  I was leaning towards Arsenicum, but she thought Lycopodium might be a better fit.  We discussed Esmeralda’s hard udder and she agreed with my decision to give Pytolacca.  I then told her about Rain: her “clinginess” and how she’s now got sores on her udder (which makes milking her a bear!).  I suspect the sores are from what is called “sore mouth” in goats, but who knows what they are.  We went back and forth between Silicea and Pulsatilla and decided on Pulsatilla (what I had originally thought to give her before the sores showed up).  We talked more about raw milk, the cons of feeding grain to animals (even to livestock) and various other matters.  I love my homeopath.

This morning I made a batch of Anadama bread and it turned out awesome.

Put the goats up and went out to work the dogs.  The sheep are in the back pasture.  I’ve closed all the gates so they really can’t go anywhere.  They are out in about 40 acres.  First I worked Fern.  We did some driving and then I recalled her to me, sent her around behind me into a big, wide flank for an outrun.  I am being really careful to keep Fern on her feet so she doesn’t get clappy.  She’ll also cross over on her outruns if I’m not careful, hence the flanking her behind me which widens her outrun without physically pushing her out.

Then I worked Gel.  I took him to the far end of the field and sent him on an outrun.  It was picture perfect.  The sheep didn’t lift their heads from grazing until he walked up on them.  His fetch was a bit fast, but, alas, I left my whistle at home and the wind was blowing so it was hard to give commands.  I tried to do a bit of driving, but without the whistle, I couldn’t get much distance on the drives.  So we practiced shedding.  He’s doing well.  He hasn’t hit or gripped a sheep during our last few practices.  He comes in like a rocket which is great.

Finally, the rocket: Cian.  When we brought the sheep back to where I parked the ATV to which the dogs were tied to, Cian was weaving back and forth on his tie out.  Lunatic!  I tied Gel, making sure Cian held his down, then sent him out for the sheep.  Gosh, he’s a beautiful outrunning dog.  He’s taking most of his lie downs now and if he doesn’t, I come out after him.  He gets a bit frantic in fetching and wearing and does a lot of sliding back and forth, which he doesn’t need to do.  I think he’s still a young dog who needs to settle down.  I growled his name whenever he started up the sliding and praised him when he walked in straight.  He was happy as a clam when we were finished.

Then I came in and cooked one of my favorite dishes:  I saute either some ground beef or turkey to which I add diced onions and green peppers.  Then I add some diced tomatoes, salsa, Mexican seasoning, frozen corn and canned black beans.  I let it cook on low for about an hour then eat it with taco chips.  Yum!  I’ve been feeling like I need some fiber in my diet and this will do it.

As I write this, all three dogs are lying at my feet.  Tired Border Collies are happy dogs.  The wind is blowing like crazy!  Luckily it’s going to let up and is going to get progressively warmer later in the week.