Snow is forecast tonight into tomorrow morning. We could get five to eight inches. Those of you from the North would consider five to eight inches a snow shower, but here in North Carolina, that is a major snowstorm. I do not have school tomorrow, but I need to be able to get to Hickory to do my last day of bunny sitting.
I am tired of the cold, the wet, the mud, the frozen water. I am sick of muddy dogs and cats. We are limited as to what we can do about the mud until it warms up a bit and by Wally’s injured back. I have explored options for the areas where the cows walk and I think we are going to try what is called “cow carpet.” It is very strong geotextile fabric that you lay down on a level service and then top with crushed gravel. It is supposed to work well and is not too terribly expensive. For now, we will clean out their shed as best we can, bed it down with more straw and hope that it stays reasonably dry. The calves actually have a better area to go into than the cows. The pigs and ducks are all set, it’s just the milk cows that are a problem. Anywhere that cows walk is a problem when it is wet. Of course, we need to hope that the weight of the snow does not take anything down.
Off to milk. At least my milk machine is working very well and Moon is behaving. Maybe that means she’s pregnant. Speaking of pregnant: Penny is starting to make milk and she’s moving a lot slower. Hopefully she will calve while I am on spring break.
Until later …