Fifteen minute update …

Work went well.  I was honored to see that there was only one other “new” cashier working the 4:45 AM to 1 PM shift and she started a week before me.  All of the other cashiers were experienced.  The put me on a register that is hardly ever used and the scanner wasn’t working properly.  Several of the clothing sale items were not scanning with the scanner.  I had to continually key in the item code which slowed me down.  But I survived.

People are very much like cattle when it comes to getting what they want.  I expect you know by now that a Wal-Mart employee was trampled to death in New York.  Is saving $5 or $10 worth trampling a fellow human being to death?

I think not.

They had sausage and ham biscuits for the employees for breakfast and pizza for lunch which was nice given we were only given 30 minute breaks.

After work I quickly milked the goats because I had a message on my answering machine from my Landlord’s mother asking if I was bringing the animals up to the Christmas Tree Farm.  Apparently she wasn’t told that I had to be in work by 4:30 that morning and couldn’t bring the animals up in the morning.  I quickly got the dogs (all four of them) and animals gathered up and headed up there.

The sheep are giving me fits going through the path cut through the tall grass to get up there.  They cannot see over the tall grass, the path is not very wide and it makes them nervous.  The goats don’t care, they just go where I go.  Needless to say, I was glad I had two dogs to push the sheep through.

I got everyone in the fenced-in area and then mingled with the customers for the rest of the afternoon.  It was wonderful!  While it was slightly overcast, it was still pretty warm, especially if I was by the fire.  Esme got extensive socialization.  She was a big hit.  All puppies are cute and people love them.  Rose surprised me.  I thought she was going to be nervous with all the people coming to see “her” goats and sheep, but she ate up the attention (and bread).

Most of the people who come to get Christmas Trees come from the city.  They are so happy to come to the country and see the animals.  There is a treasure hunt for the kids, they stacked some round and square bales into a climbing gym (brilliant idea!), offer hot chocolate, cookies, popcorn and other goodies.  It’s a wonderful way to spend the afternoon.

I left up there around 4:30, brought the animals back, milked the goats and then relaxed for the rest of the night.  Needless to say, I slept like a stone that night.

Got to get ready to drive to Statesville to get rabbits.  I am going to take the Border Collies with me.  Not looking forward to the drive because it’s raining out.  Yuck!