I need to figure out what I want to do with my life

Walmart is killing me.  I cannot work closing shifts, I just can’t.  I didn’t get to bed until 12:30 this morning and my feet still hit the floor between 4 and 5 AM.  I tried to go back to bed to sleep a bit, but that just made me feel worst.  I am supposed to do it all again tonight and I am dreading it.  I know darned well I’m getting run down and am likely to catch another cold.  I am not a night person, never have been and likely never will be.  I can get up at 3 or 4:00 AM and function just fine, but staying awake past 9 PM is incredibly difficult for me.  I’m one of those in bed with the chickens type of person.

Luckily, I have no more closing shifts for the foreseeable future and as soon as I get a few minutes I’m going to go in and remove my availability for hours after 9 or 10 PM.  Right now, I’m listed as available from 12:00 AM to 12:00 PM and I may loose some shifts by pulling those hours, but the money I earn there is just not worth getting run down for.

The economy is likely worst than it was when I lost my job in October.  I know it will get better and I should simply stop worrying about it, but it’s hard not to.

After I milked, I put Kessie and Cian on tie-outs and just let the sheep out.  I went back into the house and did a few things, then brought out Gel and Fern and went out to find the sheep.  Some were up near Red’s so I sent Gel for them and then headed down back with Fern to find the rest.  Gel met us with the sheep he retrieved and we walked further on down and found the rest of the flock.  Gel pushed his sheep into that pasture and then he and Fern brought them along the fence line to an opening in the fence and then to the ElectroNet.

It’s much easier keeping the flock together with two dogs.  Gel and Fern work very well together.  Both of the dogs are extremely effective at their work.  Gel keeps the back going and Fern keeps the eye of the lead sheep to keep them from bolting ahead of me.  In a little bit I’m going to put a bale of hay on the back of the ATV and bring it down to them.  There is virtually no grass where they are now.  Granted, sheep can survive on what seems like no grass, but I want them to stay in good condition.  In another month the grass should start to grow and I hope we get to the point where they cannot keep up with it.  Putting hay down on the ground will help reseed the area so I’ll essentially be killing two birds with one stone.  Moving the sheep on a weekly basis helps to keep the parasite load down and fertilizes in a more concentrated manner.

Wally and I decided to hold off on worming the flock until the last two ewes have their babies.  That way we can worm, inspect feet and tag the lambs and what ewes who do not have tags all at the same time.

I’m starting to research cuts of lamb and recipes so we can figure out how to get that lamb processed.  We are scheduled to take them on March 18.  Good that the local processor is so busy that they could not take them until then.  I’d love to get to the point where we can eat lamb in place of beef.  I love beef, but raising beef is much harder on the environment than sheep or goats.

Until later …